i just dont know


Ok, so I have always been one of those people who loves animals. When I see a dog, horse, cat, cow, whatever, I have to pet them and give them some love. I grew up around animals and feel at home around them. In fact, at one point in my childhood we had a huge chicken coop behind our house full of hens and a rooster, a lot of bunny rabbits who had cute lil' baby bunnies, our dog Hog, and inside we had our hamster Gus and our brothers had their rat Baby and a fish tank full of neato fishies, including one that would jump out and eat beef! We also had parakeets when I was really little, but I don't remember much about them. Anyway, we Flys love animals. So, back to why I even began writing this post. I feel torn.

A few weeks back we went to Sea Life Park here on the island with some friends. I used to love going to the zoo and especially sea life parks. It's fun to learn about the animals and how to better protect them or support their ecosystem. Although, I also feel it is really unfair, almost torture, to put them in small cages and tanks. I mean no matter how glamorous they can make a tank for a dolphin, it's simply not the ocean. Poor animals. I guess if they grow up in confinement they don't know the difference, right? But that's just it, maybe they do? I mean they are animals with natural instincts. Ok, I'm sounding like an animal weirdo. But I just sorta feel guilty now paying to go see cute animals who may be happy but may be depressed. I know that parks aren't awful places and have a lot of benefits for the animals and allow protection. But I guess after watching the documentary, "The Cove," my thoughts have changed. Perhaps you should go watch it and be educated slash depressed about it, then you could rant on about animals in cages too. Either way, I will probably always go to zoos and sea life parks. I enjoy them it's true, but part of me will always feel guilty and wonder. What do you think?

You may also like:

11 comments

  1. I totally understand. I watched "The Cove" a few years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. I got really emotional and swore I would never go to Sea World or watch any dolphin shows or anything of that kind. Well, fast forward about 3 years and my daughter loves whales and dolphins and here I am planning a trip to Marine World or Sea World so she can watch a dolphin show in person. I still have those same feelings, but she loves them so much I just want to take her. I, too, am torn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post- i couldn't agree more!!! i have always been the same way, and ever since i went to africa and went to real game parks, i can't help but feel sad everytime i go to the zoo! but i still love it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't sound like an animal weirdo! And even if you did that's not a bad thing :) If you're not too depressed from The Cove, check out Blackfish http://blackfishmovie.com/ I think it gives a clearer perspective on marine life in captivity. I think The Cove is excellent but this one sort of comes from a different angle, and it's just straight-up fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I just watched the preview and am so intrigued. Im totalllllly gonna watch that, thank you for informing me of it. chase and i were seriously just talking about orcas vs. sharks, and orcas are the TOP of the food chain and can kill sharks unlike anything else. so basically, we shouldn't mess with orcas haha. i will def give that video a go, thank you taylor!

      Delete
  4. i feel the same way. I recently went to sea world, and loved seeing animals, but left crying because I wondered how I would feel in a cage. But i feel the animals have been there so long, and breaded there, if they were let into the wild, I dont think they would survive. but then I feel on some levels, for dying populations, habitation to help save a species could be good? I dont know. I have mixed feelings to because I really do love to go to the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree. sometimes they're protecting a population that may go extinct but other times not, just for profitable reasons. its just how the world works, so sad

      Delete
  5. i've always been pretty anti-zoo and anti-captivity. i don't get what all the hub-bub is about. it's depressing.

    i don't think i'll be a zoo mom! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i say you go outside and explore yourself?! don't pay $50 to do it. buuuuut that means you may or may not see those choice animals... in which case, ... zoos. whatever. lame. haha.

      Delete
    2. haha love it. ya but how often do you get to see those animals by exploring? like NEVER unless youre in a foreign country. bleh.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE YOUR PEPLUM. i think you posted it before?! Where is it from?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes i agree. animals in cages is not meant to be. you are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by, xo

Instagram

© RIDIN' with the RONDOS. Design by MangoBlogs.